Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Random facts of the day...

We got new shoes today. That always makes for a happy me :-D. They're cool lookin'.

It's nasty, rainy, and cold(er) today. We ran around running errands in it. Oh, and random thought of the moment, my jeans that were the perfect length definitely become a few inches too long when they're wet. It's a glorious sight. Not.

We got out pup a new stuffed, squeaking goose toy. It's hilarious watching him try to find the squeaker in it.

I got a cute dress to wear Sunday.

Our house currently smells very strongly of gasoline. Don't ask. Haha. We'll live... I hope ;-)

Onto the point of this post.

Ever since the tornado hit North Carolina and annihilated a trailer park in Raleigh, I have had the urge to help the people affected by the terrible storm that destroyed lives last Saturday. Every day I wake up, I think about the poor people that have been affected. Yes, lives outside the trailer park were affected... many people lost their homes and lives.  But, my concerns have really been directed towards the trailer park. I find myself asking, "Why would God allow destruction to occur to people that already don't have that much?" Yes, I know that we don't always know the reasoning behind God's actions and I'm at peace with that.  I've even voiced to Steven a few times (and he agreed) that I wish the tornado would've hit us or that trees would've fallen on our house instead of the trailers. Why? Well, because we have enough.  In society's eyes, we're middle class. A lot of the people affected were people that lived day to day. I've always been a very empathetic person and wish I could have all the money in the world to help everyone.  I would gladly give it away just to see someone's life improved.

So, yesterday my mom told me a few ways we could help that she had recently heard of. One of the ways was donating clothes. I had been wanting to do that since the storm but wasn't completely sure where to drop the clothes off and I wanted the clothes to go directly to the people affected in the trailer park.  Today, I spent a good hour going through all my clothes and finally had 3 bags full of clothes and some shoes. I was so content and excited to be able to give these clothes to girls that could use them. I can't imagine having my whole life and everything I've ever known and worked for destroyed. I know that our hope is not in this world, but losing everything is still devastating. My mom also told us that His Radio had put boxes at Chick-fil-A at Falls Village and Capital Crossing and were accepting toys that would be given to the children that were affected.  So, last night Steven and I ventured to Target and got some toys to give to the sweet children affected.

Today, we decided to take the clothes to the organizations that were assisting the people affected by the tornado in the trailer park at Stony Brook.  My mom had told me that we probably wouldn't be able to get into the actual trailer park so I wasn't thinking we would even see any of the damage.  Man, was I wrong! We didn't actually see the part of the trailer park that the news keeps showing (it must be in the back of the community). But the area surrounding the trailer park is destroyed. I have never seen so many down trees in my life. Steven and I just drove in silence trying to take it all in.  There were volunteers for Samaritan's Purse, The Salvation Army, and The NC Baptist Mens Group parked all up and down the street. I finally got out of the car to ask a police woman where to drop off our donation and she told me to go to the tents (which were everywhere).  I really didn't think I would be able to actually walk into the trailer park community but we were able to! Originally, I didn't think I would emotionally be able to face these people and see the devastation but once I started walking in, my attitude immediately changed.  The "victims" were everywhere, walking around and smiling and laughing.  The news doesn't show the part of the community that wasn't completely destroyed so I had the mindset that the entire trailer park was destroyed.  I was walking in alone as Steven parked the car and was walking past people giving me the biggest smile and saying "thank you!".

I'll never forget how I felt as I saw all these people being helped.  I just wanted to run and hug them. I was honestly expecting to see people walking around crying but there was so much joy there! The 3 groups that are helping them (Samaritan's Purse, Salvation Army, and NC Baptist Mens Group) are Christian organizations and are doing an amazing job there.

However, the moment that Steven and I keep talking about didn't occur until we were leaving. We placed our bags of clothes into a pile of a TON of clothes and donations and as we turned around, a man approached us and thanked us. He stood in front of us and said, "Would you like some food? Please, get some, we would love for you to have some... there's plenty!" Steven told me later I looked like a deer in the headlights. I remember just staring at him and not knowing what to say. I was blown away that the people who lost EVERYTHING were offering us food.... it should have been the other way around. The sweet people there were trying to serve us and it just stunned me the love that they still possess even in the midst of tragedy.  We then had a couple more people come up to us, thanking us, and trying to give us stuff.  The selflessness and love of others amazes me everyday.  You can definitely sense God's spirit there.  I am so glad that we got to experience that and I wish that I could get work off and go volunteer my time everyday to go serve and help them.

Please keep praying for them. The devastation there is horrible.

Also, I heard on the radio a day or two ago that one of the biggest needs right now is diapers and wipes. I may be making a trip to the store later :-D

Happy Good Friday!!!

No comments: