Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ramblings from a pre-k teacher

Working in the preschool industry changes a person.  Wait, working with children in general changes a person :-) Here's some examples.

I discuss bowel movements on a daily basis. Yes, bowel movements, poop...whatever you want to call it.  It's gotten to the point that it doesn't bother me anymore. Weird, never thought i'd get to that point.

On a daily basis the following phrases can be heard coming out of my mouth:

"Stop picking your nose"
"No, you can't eat the moonsand!"
"Please stop putting your hands in your pants and then touching my hair"
"Why is your underwear on the floor?"
"You promise you pooped?"
"Stop eating the cup. The cup is plastic....not good"
"Mrs. Bockmann....not Mrs. Brackman"
"No more talking about bodily functions at the table!"
"No, I'm not your mom. No stop....I'm really not your mom"
"Stop showing each other your private parts, they're covered for a reason"
"Did you really just wipe your booger on the floor....gross!"
"I just said to stop putting your booty in his face"

On a daily basis, I play the role of mom, nurse, counselor, PE coach, mediator, referee and best friend.  My coteacher and I are constantly having to change emotions. One second we're comforting a child who just had a block rammed into their head, and the next we're singing about how much we love birds...or something like that, haha.

I was laughing the other day while listening to someone talk on the radio about how random children can be. It's so true. For example, a few days ago I was discussing what you can see at a museum.  I said, "Name something you guys can see at a museum." The first child raises their hand and proclaims, "I see dinosaurs!" A couple more children give answers and then I call on another child. Me: "Name something you see at a museum." Child: "Yesterday my dad gave me rice to eat." Me: "Oh really? That's great...now what is something that you can SEE at a museum?" Another child raises their hand, "Mrs. Bockmann, one time I lost a tooth." Me: "Okay........um....er.."

Anyways, it can quite a hilarious occupation at times :-)

So, among the teachers we have all discussed how working in a preschool is the best birth control ever. Yes, I love kids or else I wouldn't work with them. But goodness, is it an exhausting job. Today, I was goofing around with the last 2 kids I had left in my class at the end of the day.  One decided to accidentally stick his hand in my mouth. Not a big deal right? Oh yeah, except I failed to mention that its the hand he picks his nose with all the time. Major gross.  Oh well, my husband's response to that when I told him was, "Hey, a little booger never hurt anyone...you can't say you never did that as a child." Haha, thanks baby for the support ;-)

Anywhoodles, I gotta get my booty to bed for some much needed beauty rest!

1 comment:

Mama M. said...

That's awesome...kids are amazing aren't they?

Amazingly funny, amazingly frustrating, amazingly lovable, amazingly grody...

You've got great job! And you seem like you are great with the kiddos!