Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's a Love Story Baby Just Say Yes

Let's talk about love....
Let's talk about us...
Let's talk about life...

Oh sorry, I was just singing along to Celine Dion, "Let's Talk About Love." Ok, embarrassingly enough I had to google "let's talk about love" just to see if there were any songs that had that phrase in it.  Can't say i've actually ever heard the song.

Er... okay back on track.  Today's topic for the Valentines Extravaganza is proposal stories! Aw, don't we all just love it when our man opens up and proclaims his undying love for us? I know I do!

Photobucket

Steven proposing to me was a day that I never thought would come.  We had been dating for almost 6 years and we knew we wanted to get married, but when was another issue.  A couple of months before he graduated college I started getting anxious. Ya see, all of my friends were engaged and getting married very soon. Were we? Oh no.  Eh, you know the saying, "Good things come to those who wait"? Yeah, Steven said that all the time to me. My response was, "Um...i've been waiting for a long time, haha. However, I knew my time was coming.  We had been discussing him going to grad school in Germany and had discussed that it wouldn't happen unless he could bring me with him. Who would go to school overseas and leave their girlfriend of almost 6 years behind? No one in their right mind.  So, when August (of 2008) rolled around, I knew that the proposal was right around the corner. See here's the thing, Steven was thinking of going to grad school and leaving in Jan. of 2009, and he wanted me to come with...which meant that in order for me to come we had to get married.  We also had discussed how we wanted at least 4 months to plan a wedding...which meant that August was my proposal month.

So, when August rolled around, every date we had I thought, "Oh, could this be the day?!?" I remember one time in particular we went hiking at Umstead Park. We were hiking on this pretty trail, the sun was setting, everything was perfect. All of the sudden, Steven stops walking and is just looking at me admirably.  My heart started racing... Oh my gosh, is this the day?! Nope, false alarm...he was just looking at his awesome girlfriend :-)

Skip a few weeks and its the day of August 28th.  Steven had called me earlier that week asking me if I wanted to go out to a nice dinner because he had been really busy with stuff and said that I deserved a nice dinner for (in his words) putting up with him.  That afternoon, I decided I wanted to wear a cute sundress and I remember my mom coming in my room telling me, "Oh, dress up... you're going to a nice dinner." Or something along those lines.... Hmm...I thought, that's interesting. But, I concealed any hopes I had and didn't let Steven know that's what I was wondering. Steven showed up with my absolute favorite flowers, stargazer lilies. And then, we went to dinner at Firebirds (super good restaurant) and as we were leaving the restaurant, I walked behind Steven a few feet.... ya know, just to check him out. That's what I told him at least, but I was secretly looking at him from behind to see if I could see any box shaped objects in his pockets, hahahaha! I still felt kind of nervous that night and kept wondering, "is this the day?".  After dinner, I asked to go to the mall and we walked around for a little bit before leaving.  We started driving around and all of the sudden Steven starts turning into this park.  I'm all like, "Oh my gosh, are you taking me dancing?!?" Background info here: while we dated, Steven would randomly make a mixed CD and surprise me by taking me dancing in the park, very cute.  So, dancing in the park was nothing "out of the ordinary" to me.  I'm still clueless by this point.  We park, get out, he turns on the music and we're dancing to "Brown Eyed Girl".. I think, haha.  That song ends, we're still dancing, and the song "Going to the Chapel" starts.

Um... that's an interesting song of choice, Steven. Steven?! Where are you....oh my gosh, you're on one knee!  That's what was going through my mind, haha.  I remember telling myself to smile because I was shocked that it was actually happening.  So, after many minutes of screaming, laughing, kissing, hugging, and jumping up and down, I finally realized that I should probably look at the ring! Hahaha, I was so happy that he was proposing that I could've cared less for the ring!  Long (really long, huh?!) story short, I said yes, we were engaged for 4 months and happily married on January 17th, 2009.

The night we got engaged

 
He did good!


MckLinky Blog Hop

       

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um. I TOTALLY know that song. Super lame. I know. I have the CD. Wow. I used to be a huge Celine Dion fan (esp. when Titanic came out!)

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

What a cute story! He did good job keeping you guessing!

Blessings & Aloha!