Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living in a Foreign Country tip # 58390258345435043

If individual happens to be in foreign grocery store, always act like you're deaf. They'll leave you alone. If said individual happens to be searching for "sahne" (heavy cream) and happens to knock a nearby carton of sour cream on the ground, run. Don't look back. We all know what happened when the wife looked back in Sodom and Gomorrah. Pillar of salt, baby. Quickly wipe off any evidence on shoes to discard any evidence that you were the person that knocked the carton the ground.  Oh, and make sure to look around to be certain that no one saw you :-)

Ok, so here's what happened. I needed heavy cream. Should be simple enough to find that stuff but for some reason there are 8390385 different types of sahne at the grocery store. And, when you can't read German as it is, it's a tad overwhelming.  So, I was delicately picking up each carton of sahne to inspect it to see if by any chance I recognized any words (yeah right, like I can understand any of what it said, haha).  Anywhoodles, upon reaching for yet another carton of sahne, I accidently hit a carton of sour cream on the floor. I remember frantically trying to catch it before it hit the ground. No luck with that one.  I picked it up, looked at my left foot that was now covered in that sour stuff, and started looking around. Good, no one saw me. You see, I  had good intentions. I then made up my mind that if I could find somebody who worked there, I would walk over with the busted carton, ask them if they could speak English, and tell them very apologetically that I had accidentally knocked it on the floor. Well, that plan went quickly out the door as I realized I couldn't find any workers. And, i'm not the type to leave a mess for someone else to clean up. But, due to the fact that my German skills are nonexistent, I had no idea how to clean it up (didn't have anything on me), and was very embarassed, I simply put it back on the shelf and tried to desperately scrap some of the little amount of sour cream on the floor to the side. Yet, I didn't succeed too much with that attempt.

See, I tried! Don't judge me, haha! I then walked quickly away wiping my left shoe on the back of my jeans so no one would know I did it if they came looking, haha.  I've never done anything like that before. I mean, I've knocked stuff on the floor at the grocery store before, who hasnt? But in the past, i've always found someone that worked there and offered to clean it up.  However, when you cant speak the language, all rules change. And, it make matters worst, I never got my sahne! Oh well, maybe i'll send Steven out to get it this time.

So anyways, that's my story for the day :-) I've had a few other embarrassing moments recently but I'll save those for a rainy day.

No comments: