Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I don't really know what to say right now. As many of you have heard, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit Haiti yesterday evening. While Steven and I were sleeping, people were losing their lives, their loved ones, everything they've known. Some of you may know already, but Steven's parents left Monday morning to go to Haiti. They are part of a missions team that went there to provide medical care to the poor. Some of the people in the group were also doing construction work and they all were doing humanitarian work. I read today online that Haiti is the poorest country in the world. This country has seen it's share of disasters too. Last year, they were slammed when hurricane Gustav made landfall there.  My mother-in-law, Lois is working as a nurse while in Haiti and my father-in-law is doing construction I believe.

Steven woke up before this morning.  He hadn't been up long before I heard him frantically calling my name.  He wasn't calling my name in the tone of voice you would use if you had lost something, or had broken something.  He was calling my name like he was scared, worried, terrified.  He informed me that a 7.0 magnitude earthquake had hit Haiti.  It's epicenter was right near where the missions group was staying, Ti Goave... also known as Petit Goave.  So, yes, if we calculated right and researched right, then they were very close to the center of the earthquake.  Maybe we're wrong.

Thankfully, we got a message from Steven's sister, Kim, saying that she was able to get in contact with one of the team leaders daughters.  She informed us that everyone is okay and accounted for.  Praise God! Everyone was able to get out of the buildings and off the roofs in time.  The locals have found out that there is a medical missions group there and is flooding their campgrounds for help.  I can't imagine the pain, the sights, the terror.  I can't even begin to fathom it.  It terrifies me just thinking about having to experience such a thing.

My heart is broken for the people in Haiti. I long to help them.  But, I can't.  All we can do is pray.  Steven and I think it is so interesting how the team left Monday for Haiti and the next day the earthquake happens.  There is no doubt in our minds that it was in God's will for them to be there.  For them to help the people in ways that most people will never get to.  They went there to serve, to help, to share about Jesus' love.... and man, are they doing it! So, please pray. Pray for safety for the missions team.  Pray that they will be comforted and be able to comfort God's children.

 And, most importantly, that everyone will continue to praise God in this storm.
 

2 comments:

Lily Dawn said...

Wow, I am glad your loved-ones are okay... I will be praying for everyone over there! (i love that song, one of my favorites)

Lily

Steven & Kimberly said...

Thanks, I absolutely love this song... it's my favorite!