Almost three months ago, I boarded a plane with my husband to fly to a land only he had visited once. I boarded that plane knowing anything, all I knew was that in about 10 hours I was going to be standing in Germany. Before we left, we had sold most of our belongings, given up our first place together, and left the friends and family that we loved and had grown accustomed to seeing frequently. Weirdly, the day we left Raleigh I didn't feel scared or like I was making a big mistake. I still don't feel that way as I've grown to love the country that we are now residing in. Do I call it my home? No, I never will and neither will Steven. Our home will always be Raleigh, NC. That's where we grew up and where we fell in love.
But back to what I was saying, I have come to the conclusion that if we had merely forgotten everything he had known, then I don't think we would have had some of the feelings we have experienced. If you pursue something without having anything to compare it to, you love it more and you accept it more. Also, it makes being in unknown place a little less scary and a little more like home. I don't think that Steven and I will ever stop missing the things back home, the things we knew and loved. We will always miss our first apartment together, our favorite restaurants, our cars, our friends, our families and always having the option of "doing something."
Today, as I sit here listening to Christmas music on mix 101.5 I have realized that the simple act of listening to music that I'm familiar with makes me homesick. So, what do you do? I have no answer so that! I think such little things as listening to Christmas music make Steven and I homesick at times because Christmas has always been something that we celebrated with our families and friends back home.
But, on January 17th, 2009 I married my best friend, Steven. And, on that day I vowed to stand by his side and to become a family with him. On that day, we started our new life. We started our own traditions. It's kind of exciting to think that we have our own traditions now. So, today I sit here and vow to press on with this life. Life is never easy. It has it's up and down's and part of growing up is changing. Over these last few months, we've been humbled and in a way broken down. We've learned to accept the things we cannot change and to love the simple things in life. It's so refreshing to start loving the simple things in life like having your husband bring home fresh bread from the baker. It's so great to get to the point where you don't need constant entertainment and where you don't have to go out to have fun. We have been so blessed and continue to thank God for everything that He has given us. Yes, we have an itsy, bitsy apartment that is so small, I swear we could roll to our bed from the living room in about 5 rolls. But, we try not to complain because at least we have an apartment! God had given us a roof over our heads, we always have food to eat, and we can take a shower whenever we want. Some people aren't that fortunate.
I cannot wait for the day that I can tell my children how we lived in Germany! We will have so many funny and interesting stories to tell. I am so thankful for this opportunity to travel with Steven and to embrace a new culture and lifestyle - I mean, it's not everyday you get the opportunity to go live in a foreign country for a few years! I should really wrap up this posts.. it's getting a little long don't ya think? Haha. Anyways, I challenge you guys to love the simple things in life. To go out and learn something that you've never known and to fall in love with God's beautiful creation!
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment