Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

Life

This could quite possibly be the longest update/post ever! Don't say I didn't warn ya :-)

I remember back in May thinking now that I was pregnant, I would update the blog weekly. Ha! That didn't happen, huh?

So, let's start where I left off...

At 18 weeks we found out we were having a baby girl! I won't lie, we were hoping for a boy but quickly fell in love with the fact we were having a girl... a sweet baby girl that we named Haven! My pregnancy progressed fairly normal until about week 30. I dealt with morning sickness, or what I liked to call random all day quesiness until about my 7th month pregnant.  Although, I did still continue to take Zofran randomly until the day I delivered due to random nausea.... Especially, in the third trimester when it seemed to come back like the first trimester.

At the end of  week 28 I had the glucose test. I was so nervous about taking it. Terrified actually. Let's just say I did a little too much Googling , haha.  The test was so much better than I could have ever imagined! I actually thought the drink was really good! Kinda like orange HC :). Steven had to tell me to slow down drinking it so that I didn't make myself sick. I felt okay for a few minutes and then got really flushed and dizzy and a little nauseous for about 15 minutes.  By the time we left to go to the doctor, I felt fine. We were lucky that I was able to drink the drink and wait at home. I took the test on a Friday and on the way to work on Monday I got a call from my OB. I could tell the second I heard her voice something was wrong.  Yep, I had failed the test and had to re-do it.... The dreaded 3 hour test!  Now, I was even more nervous about that one! It was supposed to be  awful.  Was it? No. I had to go to the office and drink it there and wait. Thankfully, Steven was able to get off again and came and kept me company.  Once again, the drink wasn't too bad.  It was definitely sweeter but I liked the taste, haha. The drink made me feel a little weird and sick to my stomach but thankfully, I never got sick from it. Steven went and got me a huge water and once I started drinking it I felt loads better.  I did the 3 hour test on a Friday again and they called me that Monday with my results.  I had failed again and they wanted me to come in that week. I believe if I'm remembering correctly the normal range is up to 180 (or was it 160 they said?) and my levels were 220.  So needless to say, I was labeled as having critically high levels.   We left for the beach the day after my last day of work, and I wasn't able to get in to the high risk doctor until week 34, even though the doctor wanted me in  asap to see them. 

The day after  we got home from the beach we had my baby shower! It was so fun and beautiful! Of course, I was watching what I was eating due to the fact I hadn't met with the high risk doctor yet, but I did enjoy a small sliver of cake :-D. The following Monday my mom went with me to meet with the high risk doctor and to have a growth scan. It was so awesome seeing our baby girl since the last time we had seen her was at 18 weeks. She was adorable. She had her eyes open when the ultrasound first started and was sucking her thumb. Precious.  At that visit it was confirmed that I had gestational diabetes and would have to start pricking my fingers  4 times a day and emailing in my levels weekly.  Not only that, but we also found out that she was breech.  At my next appointment with my OB, at 34 weeks, she was still breech (footling breech) and we made the decision to  go ahead with a c section if she didn't turn soon.  At my 36 week appointment, we set a date for her birthday since she was still breech.  Little  miss was a stubborn one and wanted to come early :). We were excited to have a set date  of her arrival and it made planning things so much easier :). Granted, the date got changed from what we originally set but thankfully, we were able to get it moved up to the 29th!  The doctor was scared of me going early due to some things and I was told over and over at every appointment that if I went into labor or especially if my water broke, it would be an emergency situation as her foot was already "engaged" and they were worried about cord prolapse if my water were to break. So we prayed all the time for her to just hold on for one more day.

The closer I got to my c-section date, the more frequent/nonstop at times my braxton hicks and cramping came. I started dilating 5 days before my  c section.  The night before the c section we couldn't sleep! I had so many thoughts running through me head. We literally both slept only a hour and woke up at 330 wide awake. It was the sweetest time because we just laid there cuddling and dreaming of what she would be like. It was  the sweetest last few hours as "just us."   Around 345 morning I jumped out of bed telling Steven my underwear was really wet.  I was in denial that my water might  be breaking so until 530 I just kept going to the bathroom and "keeping an eye on it."  But, around 530 is when it hit that I was fairly certain it was amniotic fluid leaking.  We were leaving for the hospital anyways in one hour so I just decided to  wait since it seemed to be a slow leak.  On the way to the hospital, there were so many emotions pumping through me/us.  I remember mentioning to Steven to keep driving as we neared the hospital entrance and "let's just drive to the beach" as I was getting really nervous. It had been just us for 11 years and in a matter of 2 hours our lives were going to change! We were so excited but so nervous at the same time.  mentioned it as soon as we got to triage  and the doctor agreed that we we're right to fight for an earlier c section date because I would've never made it to the date they tried to give me. I was 3 centimeters, 80% effaced and she was at -2 station with what I thought were braxton hicks every few minutes.  We thought it was kinda ironic that all that started happening on the date we had chosen to have the surgery.

We we're ready to go! We were having a baby!
Ok, now that I'm caught up to the c section.... I will write another post just about that because it deserves a post of its own! 😉

No comments: