Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, oh Monday

I started an update the other day but got bored of typing so it was a short one. This one may become long. If you don't feel like reading lots of endless babble, ya might want to exit now :-P. So, let's start with the biggest update to date. I know I already stated in a previous post but we are FINALLY done with grad school. No more late nights. No more going to bed alone. No more projects. No more tuition. Nothing! YES! He was blessed to be at a university (internationally - in Germany) that the entire grad school program only cost around $1,500! No lie... for one of the best schools in the world too! I guess his school being cheap was one of the good things of living in Pforzheim. Moving on... he is now back to working at his old job and I am still working as a pre-k teacher. It's so fun and rewarding but goodness, am I exhausted each day!

This weekend we spent redecorating our place. We decided to finally finish our "renovations" aka finally paint the bathroom! It looks awesome. It's amazing what a coat of paint, a new shower curtain/rugs, and updated knobs/outlet covers will do.

There really isn't much more to update. Life is pretty much the same every day :-) We absolutely love being married. It has been so amazing being married to Steven and I feel as if my love for him grows every day. We were talking the other night about how we've met people and had couples say that getting married was a huge adjustment for them and how hard it is but we never experienced that. We never had an adjustment not that it's wrong to have one as every couple is different (please don't think I am looking down upon couples that did as I am not). Getting married was so natural to us. I am so thankful that God blessed me with such an amazing man. He is someone who loves me even when I'm cranky, when I'm moody, when I'm PMSing (haha), whenever life throws us curves. Always. I don't deserve someone this great but man, I thank God everyday for him! Also, it was fun going to weddings in May of this year where couples we were friends with, that had dated a long time like we did got married :-)

It's been fun to look back over these last 2 1/2 years and see how much we've grown as individuals and as a couple.  Going to Germany after only being married for about 8 months was so much fun.  It taught us that we can do anything. It grew us both a ton individually and as a couple and forced us to fully rely on God and on each other. I vividly remember a moment when we had just moved into our apartment. I believe we had only been there a day or so.  But, I remember walking into what became our living room/office and looking around and realizing that nothing I knew was here. I had no friends here. We knew no one except for a couple that had lived in the U.S. for awhile and we had become friends with (that had recently just moved back to Germany, their native country). I had none of my own things. We had no furniture yet except for some dishes, a side table and coffee table, and a mattress on the floor. It was a rough first few weeks when we knew no one and where nothing was. Anyways, on this particular evening we were bored out of our minds. It had just really hit us that we know no one, we don't know where anything is, and there is nothing to do in this tiny town. I remember (like it was yesterday) walking into what was our living room and sliding down the wall crying. A few moments later, Steven walked into the room and slid down the wall with me crying. Now, I'm not saying this to get pity but honestly to tell you, moving to a new country isn't all sunshine and roses. It is a totally different experience when you are in a study abroad program and they set everything up for you. You go over there w/ friends and people you're age. You live in student housing and don't have to worry (usually) about money, haha. Now, please don't take it as we hated it there. The crying was part of the adjustment period - everybody goes through that in a new country. We came to love Germany. I am so thankful for our time there and the chance to learn a new culture, make new friends, and experience a new place! It was SO fun!

I've been kinda down lately and realized that apparently someone who is usually up beat cannot post a negative or "down" status without every one instantly becoming alarmed instead of thinking, "Oh, she's just having a sad moment like everyone does." :-P Gave me a little smile. It's been a sad couple of months as late last year a dear friend of mine was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumor. She is not doing well at all and it's been very upsetting. I find myself most days regretting the fact that I wish I would've hung out with her more. I wish I could go back and do it all over. She was one of the (very) few people that actually kept up with me and checked on me in Germany as she knew it was a hard transition. I will forever cherish that. 

Okay, this update is long enough. Whew, if you are still reading I commend you! I hope you all have a relaxing and fun week!

No comments: