Oh dear. It's happened again. Steven and I have had another "moment." These "moments" are usually funny, not expected, and expensive. Haha. Warning, this is a long post :-)
Yesterday, we went to send of 1 of our 2 boxes to go home. By the way, Lois they are being sent to your house, however I think you emailed Steven about that already? Anyways.
We walked out of our front door, down the hall, and were going down the elevator when all of the sudden Steven says, "CRAP! Do you have your keys?!?"
"No baby, I never carry my keys unless it's just me leaving the apartment. Why"
"Because I don't have mine."
"What do you mean you don't have yours?!"
"Um yeah, I took them out when we got home and they are now sitting on the desk....and we're locked out of the apartment."
Instead of getting upset, we just started laughing. We always have the weirdest things happen to us. So, we took the box to the post office and then started calling our friends trying to see who could look up our landlords information. We're walking around the theater behind our apartment contemplating getting on a bus to take to studio to use their computers or staying by our apartment in case one of our friends call back. Well, one did thankfully. So we call our landlord who gives us a number... problem is we had no pen and no paper. So, we walked into the theater and up to these 2 women behind a desk who are looking at us like we have 12 heads and are foaming at the mouth. Steven asks in German for a pen, which the lady hesitated to give us at first. We must've looked so silly to them because I'm laughing at what has happened to us and Steven is talking in English to our landlord.
The weird looks continue. Then, our landlord says he'll call us back with the number and I for some reason started giggling, and threw the pen and paper back at the lady. Ok, I didn't throw it but it was more of an awkward, "Here is your pen I don't know what to do with the paper you gave me that I didn't use although you are looking at me like you want it back too" moment. The whole time we were in the theater, the ladies in there did not speak one word to us. Not one word...which made me laugh even harder because you could tell they must have thought we were these crazy English speaking people who had been smoking crack.
We started walking back towards our apartment because apparently the number we needed was written inside our elevator. Little problem though, in order to get into the elevator in our building you had to go through 2 doors which so happened to be locked. And we had no keys. Yay.
Then, our landlord called back with a number of a locksmith to call. Let me just stop here and take a moment to say how impressed I am with myself at the fact that I memorized a random German phone number, which by the way seems to be 482904282085230583098 numbers long, in like 30 seconds.
Steven dials the number that I miraculously memorized and thank God, I memorized it right because someone picked up. Steven then proceeds to floor me by speaking in all German describing how we locked ourselves out of our apartment...just to have the guy tell us that after 2 pm they don't do calls/work..and it was past 3 by this point. How wonderful. We're sitting on the bench outside of our apartment trying to figure out what to do, when I see someone from our complex start walking towards the front door... so, I started running to catch the door. After we got back into our complex and up to our apartment, we got the bright idea to "break" into our apartment. I mean, how hard could it be?! WRONG! Let me just say, that picking a door is way harder than what it looks like in the movies!!! We tried using one of my bobby pins....fail. Then, we tried the whole credit card in the door....fail again. Man, movies make it look so easy!
So, after realizing that we were quickly running out of time we started on the hunt of finding a locksmith. We walked into Galleria (a Belk's type store) and found a locksmith but sadly, he didnt' do house calls. But, he was SO nice to point us in the direction of two. We went to the first one who once again, looked at us like we were crazy. I swear, I have something on my forehead that says, "Stare at me I'm a crazy American" that only foreigners can see. Just sayin'. Moving on...
Thankfully, the weird locksmith says he can help us and walks back to our apartment with us. Then, began the awkward 10 minute-ish walk back of trying to find things to talk about with someone who only speaks a little English.
We're walking quietly down the street as I stared at the ground trying to pretend that the ground was indeed the most fascinating thing i've ever seen in hopes that he wouldn't ask me a question I wouldn't understand. The locksmith, let's call him Bob.... yeah, Bob fits him well, looks at Steven and asks him if he's in school and Steven starts telling him that yes, he's a student studying Transportation Design. Bob looks at me and asks me if we study together to which I laughingly said, "Oh no, I can't draw....at all!"
Then, comes the funny part... to us at least.
Steven says to Bob, "No, she's not a student. This is meiner Frau (this is my wife)."
And... Bob replies, to which we're still laughing about, "Oooooooo, dis is your woman!!!"
Steven: "Yes, this is my woman!"
It's just so funny that everywhere we go here we always hear, "Is this your woman?" Because in the U.S. you don't hear that and to refer to someone, for example as, "Hey woman!" is kinda derogatory.
So, then Bob starts telling us how he has a woman too and has a new 6 week old baby.
Long story short, we get to our apartment but can't get into the building so then we start pushing everyone in our apartments intercom trying to get them to buzz us in. After a few minutes, we get in and after a couple of sprays of WD-40, a metal stick, 2 hours, and 60 euros later we were happily back into our apartment!
The locksmith was happy to inform us that he gave us a 10 euro rebate because it didn't take that long...but still, 60 euros is crazy. Steven started laughing and saying if he had known that the guy would've just used WD-40 and a little metal stick he would've done it himself!
No comments:
Post a Comment