Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

And, the drama continues...

Boy, do I wish I had a picture of our most recent drama filled experience. Do you remember a few days or posts ago that I mentioned that there was a fire (that's at least what we think caused all the smoke) in our apartment building? Yeah, so it happened again. But, this time the big dogs were called in.

As we were finishing up our dinner tonight, we both realized that it smelled like smoke in our apartment. The smell was horrific, almost choking.  I told Steven, "Well, it happened a few days ago so open the door and see if there's smoke in the hall." First of all, it's pretty bad if I wasn't worried at all due to the fact that it's happened before (smoke filling our apartment) and secondly, it's pretty bad when I'm not surprised about it.  So anyways, Steven opens up the door and goes, "Yep, the whole hall if filled with smoke." However, this time when I walked into the hall, I instantly knew this wasn't the smell of burnt food.  It smelled like a real fire.  I was standing in the middle of the halls trying to figure out what floor the smell was coming from when this kid runs up the floor and states to the lady standing with me that the fire is 2 floors down.  We live on the 5th floor.  I'm standing there trying to figure out why I see flashlights shining up our stairway and trying to fight the urge to run to Steven and tell him that I think it's a real fire and that firefighters are in the building.  We go back into our room and jokingly (or not so much jokingly) discuss what we would grab if it ever came to that.  We decide that we need to go to the store and decide to walk down all the stairs to see where the smoke is coming from.  We walk all the way down the stairs and the first thing we see in the front door is a huge fan blowing all the smoke out.... And, firetrucks.  And firemen. So yes, there was a fire in our building.

At the same time that it was interesting to us, it was also a little scary.  You see, for some reason our apartment building didn't feel the need to install fire alarms in any of the rooms. There is 1 fire extinguisher on the first floor in the entrance.  I'm sorry, but that will do no good if you live on the 2nd floor or higher.. the fire would consume your apartment by the time you got the extinguisher back up to your room.  Why they didn't feel the need to put fire alarms in all the rooms is beyond me. It's kind of scary for us, because if we had not left our room and tried to figure out where the smell was coming from, we would have never known there was a fire. So, our next thoughts were, "Wow, I hope there's never a fire while we're sleeping..."  We just hope that if there ever is a really bad fire (this one was just a kitchen fire I believe) that they make an announcement... because it would be really nice to know if your building is on fire.

While I'm on the topic of fires and smoke, Steven and I are just flabbergasted at how people think it's okay to smoke while they are riding the elevator. Seriously, we watch them all the time walk into our building w/a lit cigarette and just walk right into the elevator. First of all, it's a stupid idea to do it.  It's a fire hazard. And secondly, how rude is it to fill the elevator with your cigarette smoke? I personally don't want to smell like your smoke.  And, not to burst these people's bubbles, but not everyone likes the smell of smoke.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against people who smoke.  I have something against people who are not polite.

Anyways, the best part of this evening was when we walked outside to go to the store and realized it was snowing! It is so beautiful here! We walked and got our stuff and then decided to try and find the location of where the pretty music we were hearing was coming from.   There were these three guys playing wooden pan flutes. The music was so great! It was such a great moment...standing there with the love of my life, listening to these guys play these awesome instruments, while it's snowing around us. Perfect. 


No comments: