Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Well, it's time.  Every friend that I've had that has left the country for any amount of time, has always made "What I miss about the US" list. Now, ladies and gentlemen, here's ours: 


We know, we know... it's mainly food or restaurants, but you don't realize how many different foods you miss when you're gone :-)


What we MISS about the US:


1) Seeing our family and friends whenever we want


2) A bigger shower


3) Chick-fil-A


4) Cookout. No more words need to be said... I mean, a cheeseburger combo w/ milkshake for around $4.00 - who can beat that?!


5) Target


6) A thicker mattress


7) Having a car... hey, at least now we have no excuse for not being in shape.


8) EL RODEO. I miss enchiladas like nobody's business! Thankfully, I found chips and salsa.  I can now sleep more soundly at night :-)

9) Smoothies

10) Crabtree Valley Mall

11) Qdoba and Moe's

12) Lowes - Steven does, I don't :-)

13) Real, succulent, great tasting, Angus BEEF!

14) Shaving cream that comes in a larger bottle and prevents razor burn.  Ouch.

15) Toilets that don't sound like they're taking off when you flush them.  But actually, it's quite funny other than the having to flush them 3 times.

16) RANCH DRESSING - Steven personally hates it but I LOVE IT.

17) Fried chicken, fried okra, fried candy bars.. heck, pretty much anything fried. I mean, we are from the South aren't we?

18) Bojangles

20) Fox and Hound

21) Providence Baptist Church

22) Ben and Jerry's, Coldstone, Goodberry's, Rita's (oh, how I miss thee)


And now, for our second list...

What we LOVE about Germany:

1) Fresh fruit

2) Fresh bread... it pretty much rocks.  Especially, what I call pretzel bread.

3) Little family owned restaurtants and stores

4) ICE CREAM.  They have a lot more fruit flavors here.... and it's good.

5) The view from our living room. It is beautiful.

6) The festivals that occur.  They are so cool!

7) German bratwurst

8) Silke and Dirk!!!!

9) Maultaschen

10) Milch Schnitte - kind of like an ice cream sandwich but with a honey cream filling instead of ice cream.

11) German beer. I don't care for it, but Steven thinks it's the best in the world.

12) Doner Kebabs

13) How everyone walks everywhere, it's so different than the US.

14) Natural remedies.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for medicine... it's just nice to see a culture where they don't abuse medicine.   Not that everyone in the US does, it's just when you have a problem in the US, they automatically prescribe you pills. 

15) They so relaxed here...until, you're walking into the bakery and then they just cut you off.  Oops, did I just say that out loud? I mean, he must have really wanted that roll.

16) Steven likes the funny looking, little cars.... and, of course all the really cool ones.

17) The old German architecture... it's beautiful. 

1 comment:

silke said...

hahaha!!!! i love those lists...! i had two of them in my mind all the time when i lived on the us. funny but true, the list with things i missed about germany got shorter and shorter with the time. u get used to everything and after a while u dont miss it anymore.

I miss a lot right now from the USA, but i know it will go over. the only thing on the lists, that will never disappaer is missing friends and family. and that´s just right!