Steven and I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning last night doing a mock packing. The end result was kindof depressing. Our friends, Silke and Dirk, that moved back to Stuttgart last month had a crate full of all their stuff and graciously allowed us to move back all of our winter clothes (or at least most of them). How we fit them in 2 boxes is still a mystery to me :-) However, we still have clothes to bring. And a lot of them. Sadly, they are clothes that we still wear too! I mean, when you're packing jeans, shirts, sweaters, socks, underwear, additional jackets and fleeces, hats/mittens/gloves, dress clothes, shoes/boots... you run out of room FAST. And, reality check again, we have to bring it all because we are going to be there for 2 years (even more if he gets a job out there upon graduating) and are trying to save money by not having to buy that many (if any) clothes while over there. However, here is what our luggage situation looks like right now. We are each bringing 1 carry on, 1 personal item (laptop for him, purse for me), and 2 suitcases each. Delta allows us 2 free each because we are each a Skymiles customer.
Now, some people may think - wow 2 suitcases each?! How the heck are you going to fit them in the tiny cars that they have there?! Answer - I have no idea. But, by moving there I am required (and Steven is) to pack our WHOLE life into 2 suitcases, so therefore 2 suitcases really isn't that much and we will cross that bridge when we get there... literally. Haha. Also, 99.9% of our lives is being packed away... so I don't think 2 suitcases full of clothes/1 picture frame of pictures that I love is a lot to ask :-)
Today, the task of the day is - dun dun dun..... packing up the rest of our stuff! We spend every night/extra day time packing. I'm so tired of packing. Sometimes I don't even know where to start :-( It's kindof depressing at times because most of our stuff we got as wedding gifts 7 months ago and now I'm having to pack it all up. I just got the stuff! That's honestly the only thing I'm really struggling with right now. I have to leave all my cute stuff here and go to a country where i'm going to have nothing for awhile. Sometimes I just start laughing at what we're getting ourselves into. We're leaving a cute apartment, cars, everything we've had or wanted for a tiny apartment, no furniture at first, and no car. But, I wouldn't give up this opportunity for anything! It's going to be the best experience of my (and Steven's) life. Now, don't get me wrong I cannot WAIT to move to Germany... but obviously, at times I get a little upset and apprehensive.
No comments:
Post a Comment