Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Death.  Weird how that word sends chills down your back, huh?  Nobody is ever ready to hear that someone loved has died. Yesterday, I was painfully reminded how short life is.  It really is true, you never know when will be the last time you talk or see someone you know and love.  I think God shields us from that knowledge for a reason.  If not, you would spend you whole life just waiting for that "moment".  Growing up, and sadly enough I still find myself doing this, but I always would avoid things that could cause my death... or at least I tried to.  For instance, I never would (and still don't) walk alone at night. Never, ever, ever.  You couldn't pay me to.  The unknown that the darkness seems to possess scares the crap at of me. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not scared of the dark in a house/apt, but walking alone outside at dark... oh no, I think not.  I always find myself driving as safely as I can... not surrounding myself with "bad" people.  Not going in "bad" areas of town.  Not opening the door when I'm alone.  The list could go on and on.  But, awhile ago Steven said something to me that I will never forget. He said, "Kimberly, no matter how hard you try, no matter what precautions you take, you can never escape death.  God knows when and how you are going to die and there is nothing you can do about it." So, why should I fear death then? I shouldn't.  Now, this blog post isn't about fearing death, it is about the simple fact we all need to remember to cherish the ones around us.  We all need to love more, talk less, listen more, care more, forgive more, judge less, call more, and hate less.

Or else, we run the risk of causing ourselves great guilt when we don't feel like we had enough time with someone. Trust me, I've been there.  I remember when my two good friends (they were brothers) were killed in a car accident in high school.  2 brothers, sons, and friends, killed in a matter of seconds.  A mom lost 2 sons in one night - I can't even start to imagine the pain.  But, I spent so much time trying to figure out the last time I had talked to them, laughed with them, or even made them feel appreciated.  I think that's why I always make a point of telling people that I love them.  I never want anyone I know to die without knowing that I love them.  I tell my husband I love him everyday before he leaves for school. I hug him and make sure that he knows that I cherish him.  I'm not trying to be a "debby downer."  It's just that death is a unpleasant reality. And, upon finding out that my Uncle David died, I was painfully reminded once again, how fleeting life is.

"... What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." - James 4:14

"Weeping may remain for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." - Psalm 30:5


No comments: