Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

You know, you would think that a beginner's German class would be oh.... well, easy? Oh no, did I learn numbers today? No.  Letters? For approximately 1 minute. The names of fruits/foods? Nope.  What did I learn? Well, most of the 4 hours were spent "learning" how to say where i'm from. Really?! 4 hours of sitting there just to learn how to say, "I'm from the U.S." Yeah, that'll get me far. Oh, and I learned what the verbs were in some sentences. Heck, I don't even know what the words meant... would have been nice to start with that one :-) Oh well, we spent 200 euros on the class so I guess I'll continue to go and attempt to learn something.

The class is very diverse.  Of course I am the only American :-).  There are people from Turkey, Italy, Bosnia, Russia, Kenya and some other countries. I just can't remember what the other countries were because they all had such thick accents I couldn't understand them. They also don't pronounce European countries like they do in the U.S.

The girl that sat next to me, Irene (not pronounced how you would say it in the US) was very nice and we spent a lot of time talking... and her translating everything for me. I thought the class would be full of beginners since it is a beginners class. However, I would say 90% of the class can speak German. Maybe not fluently but enough that they were conversing with the teacher and seemed to understand everything she was saying. I, on the other hand, had my good ole' friend Irene translating everything for me, haha.  I was very surprised at how many people in the class actually knew German. Irene said that she can understand about 80% of German but that her German vocabulary isn't very much.  Oh well. Hopefully, by the end of this class (end of October) I will at least be able to converse with the baker ;-)

No comments: