Things that are different in Germany:
- The beds are smaller. A queen size bed in the US (in cm.) is 153 x 203 and in Europe is 140 x 200. Not that much smaller.
- Chips and snack food come in MUCH smaller bags :-) Maybe that's the secret to being skinny?
- Juices/soda come in smaller bottles too. Most of them come in 1 or 1 1/2 liters. Milk doesn't come by the gallon. It comes in a liter as well and is in a cardboard box not a plastic jug.
- They don't "do" blinds here. Period.
- In terms of comforters, they do not exist. They use duvet covers with a fitted sheet. And yes, I did bring a sheet for us to use since they don't use them here.
- One thing Steven and I can't get over is, some of the streets look like sidewalks! Seriously, you can be walking down what you think is a sidewalk and bam, a car is coming up behind you. I'm surprised we haven't been hit yet.
- THE TOILETS HAVE POOP SHELVES. There is no explanation needed here. It's gross. We are still in shock. The shock of having your er, um.... poop lifted into your face will never go away. Gross.
- No A/C and it is not by choice like it would be in the US if you wanted to save money.
- You have to sort your trash 3 ways.
- A lot of stores that you buy your drinks at (juice/soda) you pay a deposit for as well and when you are finished you return the bottles to get your deposit back. It's only a few cents though...
- They don't have closets here. You have to buy a wardrobe which is basically like an external closet.
Ok, that is all we can think of for now :-)
Now, onto our update of the day! We had to buy a new shower curtain today. The old one would stick to you when showered. Nothing is more fun than having the shower curtain stick to your butt as you're washing your hair, haha. Let me tell you. However, we might be in need of a new shower rod soon as well. Steven decided to freak out and forget how to stand yesterday in the shower.... now, that was funny. If you ever see a 6 foot something, white, naked, male flailing in the shower.... stop and watch because it is the funniest thing EVER. The chances of randomly seeing that happen are slim though :-) Today, after we got up and decided that hey, we should actually leave the apartment before 4 for once, we decided to go walking. We've been wanting to go to this store called Roller but hadn't gone yet because it is a couple of miles away. Well, we found a bus stop that goes there not too far away. But, due to the fact that it was Saturday, the bus wasn't going there today. So, we got some very yummy icecream instead. We were sitting there eating our icecream and I decided that I wanted to do something fun today. So, what did we end up doing? Did we go see a movie? No. Did we take a train to France? No. Did we go see a castle? Nope. We walked to Roller. Yup, 3 miles. Up hill. It really should be considered a mountain. Because it was so steep! By the time we got there, I swore I was dying. Heart attack possibly. We got to the store and Silke called... for some reason she was really shocked to hear that we had actually walked to Roller :-) But hey, that's what happens when you don't have a car. Thankfully, we rode the bus home. Yes, we successfully rode a bus home. Go ahead and laugh. Upon arriving home, we realized that we had never eaten dinner and that it was 5:30 to be exact. So once again, we stopped by the wine festival for some good ole' German food. Steven had something called currywurst. Sounds like something that would not make you feel so well, but it was actually really good. I had winzerwurst. Not quite sure what is exactly. All I know, is that it was white and long and quite tasty. Kindof like a blown up hotdog that turned albino.
As for our awesome plans for tonight, we are going to watch Titanic. Oh yeah. Hot date. Oh, and I forgot to mention, we will also be eating our jelly donuts that we picked up at the deli ;-)
1 comment:
Okay, some of the things that you are experiencing are geographical. We have these awesome blinds here, I think they are called rollatas. They block out all the light...awesome. I am sure you could buy some. We also don't have "poop shelves" in our toilets...God knows I couldn't handle it. As for raisinets, we can get them here. Actually, since we are military we can get some comforts of home at the PX. Send me your address and I will send you some raisinets. Chin up!
Post a Comment