Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The adventures of a crazy, in love, silly, hyperactive, couple

I'm not quite sure if we've updated completely since we got back from Heidelberg.  Yes, that is how bad my memory is, haha. I know I made some small updates but here's the minute by minute outline of what happened... ok, ok, maybe not minute by minute you might get a little bored. So, enjoy this post brought to you by Kimberly and... Steven! Sorry if this post is really long - can't say I didn't warn ya :-)

Ok, so we went to Heidelberg 2 Saturday's ago (the 19th I believe) and it was SO much fun! All the natives here told us "Don't go to Heidelberg, it's too touristy.... you won't like it." Ah, but see that's the thing... we ARE tourists :-) Permanent ones to be exact - well, for at least 18 more months. We got off that train in Heidelberg and I saw all these people with their camera's out and I just knew it.  This is where I belong! After crossing the bridge to find some food, we realized as we were walking that almost everyone around us was speaking in English! Yes, that's when I realized I needed to move here! Haha. We ate lunch at this authentic German restaurant.  That's exactly what it said.  You should of seen my face when I realized there were English menus.  A German lady offered me a German menu and I just turned around with the biggest grin on my face and said, "No, this is sooooooo perfect!" Haha. So, we ordered our pint size beers and cokes (I had the coke... I am now obsessed with Coke!) and tried to decide on some food.  I got the house extra-long bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potatoes and Steven got some beef tips with scrambled eggs and veggies looking thing.  So, after basking in what I was sure was a part of Heaven, we decided to make the hike up to the castle. I didn't care if it took us 5 hours, I was determined to get to that castle! It was like a dream... you see, the only castles I've ever seen consist of the one at Disney World and the one in the movie, Cinderella.  Haha, and I'm not even sure the one in Cinderella would count as me seeing a castle! Anyways, we got almost all the way to the castle which was basically us walking up this huge hill the whole time.  We get to this path that seperates into the path you take to the castle and look up. Oh my goodness.  I was pretty sure I was seeing things.  The path leading up to the castle was the steepest hill/mountain I have ever seen in my whole entire life. And, I had to walk up it! I swore I was dying. Steven had to keep reminding me to breath. At one point, I thought I could feel the fat falling off of me but maybe I was just dreaming :-) After only a few minutes but what seemed like an hour, we finally had made it to the top! Praise God I was still alive.  We get to the top and we see all these old people walking around... with walkers and everything. I'm still trying to figure out how they got up there! I mean, I had a hard time! We walked around for a bit and then decided to pay for the English tour of the castle. It was really fun. Afterwards, we walked around the best shopping streets I've seen since I got here! You know you're American when you see Starbucks, Hard Rock Cafe and Pizza Hut and start freaking out! Yes, I had an excitement attack... Steven had to restrain me. Just kidding, i'm not that weird.  I told Steven if he ever just wants to make me unbelievably happy, to just take me to Heidelberg so I can eat at Hard Rock Cafe and go to Starbucks! We got a smoothie at this place called Chiquita Fruit Smoothies.  Amazing. Except, having to pay almost 4 euros for a smoothie that was maybe only 8 oz. of liquid was a bit ridiculous!  They also have an English theater there.  The best part of the afternoon besides going to the castle, was when we realized that there were 3 cross dressers walking in front of us.  I mean, I'm not going to judge you... if you like to wear tight pants, shave your legs, wear makeup, have implants or stuff your bra, wear heels higher than I would ever wear them... and you're a DUDE - than go for it. But, let it be known, people will look at you, people called "Kimberly" will attempt to take pictures of you, follow you around and laugh at you when you're not looking. I mean, they could walk in heels better than I could! I was convinced that they were just really tall girls. Steven kept telling me I was wrong.  He kept telling me, "What girl have you EVER met with hands the size of a basketball, that is at least 6'5, has the facial structure of a man, and wears dixie cups in their shirt?!?!?" Ok, maybe he was right. I haven't met a girl that has all of those things... yet.

Steven finished his German language classes on Friday. I bet he's so glad to be done with those... except, he starts classes this week.  So, he didn't get much of a break.

We had lunch yesterday after church with the Spanish group.  They kept asking me to talk in the most southern accent I could. They thought it was hilarious! I told them they should hear my mom ;-) Just kidding mom!!!  I'm going to let Steven update about his exciting adventure to the hair dresser the other day now:

Hi there....another tale from the studly husband.

So the other day we decided that it was about time for me to take the plunge and risk getting my hair cut in Germany.  Let's just say that's where the adventure begins.  We left the house looking for a haircut at a good price...and so, we finally picked a place after walking around for a little while.  We walk into this shop and I get an appointment with the help of Silke.  After a couple of minutes, I am seated to get my haircut and there is a guy there who is translating my English to the girl who was going to cut my hair.  So I tell the guy that in the USA they use a number 2 guard on the back of my head.  After telling him this he seemed a little surprised (only later did I find out why), but he relayed this information to the girl and she got her equipment ready.  She did not do a small test strip of hair, but instead, she went to town on a large portion of the back of my head.  After her first pass she showed me the back of my head, and to my horror I saw my scalp.  The back of my head looked like a shaved cat, specifically the shaved cat from Austin Powers.  Apparently, a number 2 guard in Germany only leaves you with 2mm of hair.  The girl must have seen the look of horror on my face, as she went to go get the man that had translated for me originally.  I then asked him if we could somehow salvage what was left of my hair by blending it upward somehow.  He said that he could, so he took over the haircut as the orginal stylist watched.  By this point, Kimberly had seen what was going on from the waiting area and came over to give me some moral support.  At this point, there was an obvious ridge where the really short hair stopped and the longer hair began.  The guy began cutting my hair again, and spent about 20 minutes just trying to blend the length of hair from the top of my head to the very little hair that was left around the bottom.  He did actually manage to salvage a decent hair cut.  Well, for what he was left with.  All-in-all it took about 45 minutes to get my hair cut (by far the longest haircut of my life). We left the salon in a state of shock at how short my hair was.  However, by the time we were half way home, we were joking and laughing about the experience.  Now I get to wander the streets of Pforzheim looking like a Marine. 

Later that afternoon, Kimberly and I decided that it would be best if she cut my hair from now on.  So we went and made a couple of purchases. 

Moral of the story is:  Don't get your hair cut in Germany :-)

No comments: